Friday, March 26, 2010

Homeschooling Corner: Special Ed

I talked with the special education coordinator for our school district this week to tell her April will be Mateo's last month at school because we are moving. I also mentioned we were thinking about homeschooling in September. She stopped short and said to me in a shocked voice, "you know he's special ed right?" Hmm...let's see. He's been in birth-to-three for 2 years, I've been to 3 PPT's this year, I've put him on the special ed van every morning for 9 months, I've been taking him to private OT and speech every week, and I get a note everyday stating which therapies he had that day and how he did .... uh...no, I really hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I told her that from what I know it doesn't really matter legally if he's in special ed and we homeschool him. She agreed that's true and then mumbles something about it not being good enough. Her thoughts on homeschooling were very clear, but to be expected I suppose. She then goes on to say that I definitely HAVE TO go to parent teacher conferences in April (which I might add I ALWAYS go to parent teacher conferences) so that I "know where he's at". Here's what I have to say about that. (Warning: soap-box up ahead)

I may not have your uppity educational status and masters teaching degree, but I'm not an idiot. I spend more time with him than anybody else. I know he can draw circles but not copy lines or letters yet. I know he can't identify numbers but is now consistent with colors. I know his social skills can be really great but at the same time really poor. I know his speech is choppy, there are sounds he physically can't make with his mouth, but his thinking is more abstract now. I know he lacks frustration tolerance and that is a big issue for self help skills. I get him dressed every morning! I know he can't snap his pants but he can put on a shirt with assistance. I don't need a teacher to tell me that! I know his ability to cut with scissors is emerging but his interest in art is limited. I know he has trouble sitting still and maintaining interest in books but he's getting better. Of course I know where he's at! I am his mother! The only thing they can tell me that I don't already know is how he does with large groups of peers. So, for that reason, I'll go to the parent-teacher conference.

Phew! Have I made that clear?

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. What crap. (And I'm a teacher.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she seems kind of stupid for having a master's degree. Does she even have children of her own? How dare she question your involvement in your own son's life. You know him better than anybody else on earth. You know his needs and you probably have more insight on how to address those needs than someone who has only read about them or dealt with them during school hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how some people think we Mom & Dads are just plain stupid when it comes to teaching our children at home. Here's the BIG news flash, who teaches them to: walk, talk, eat, dress themselves, brush their teeth, use the potty, etc etc etc. *gasp*...us?! The PARENTS..nooooo surely not! :D You can teach him & you know what we had come to? Right now(then), it's more important that J learned life skills, then cutting & pasting.

    It will come. The child who at almost two grasped a crayon in a fist instead of his fingers, he didn't cut with scissors(honestly, with his rages I didn't want him to have the skill of using scissors):). They rush kids when there really is no reason too. It's AMAZING what you can find to help & teach your little guy. J learned his colors & added words to his vocabulary by using flash cards. It's crazy how many great ideas you can find online & you will find out very quickly that you are doing more with him than what the school does. Or that was our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you are brave. Not because he's Special ed, but because of spending all day at home with 2 kids. I could NOT do that. I did it for 3 months maternity leave (with only 1 kid) and got so depressed I could barely get out of bed. I hope it works for your family, but day care is a life saver for me!

    ReplyDelete