Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homeschool Corner: Music Therapy

About a month ago I went to a short evening class about music therapy. It was awesome, I learned a lot, and it inspired me to utilize music in our education and everyday play. So here are some things I made and bought to start our music collection and inspire the kids to express themselves.


These were all on sale for $2 each on a website I found. I especially like the wooden block with the stick. It makes such a pure sound.


We bought a set of these small plastic hearts at the dollar store around Valentines Day. Mateo and I filled them with rice and pasta then hot glued them shut. I asked Mateo what else we could fill them with to make a cool sound and he picked coins. Those worked great too. A fun activity to experiment with sound.


These are called Boom-whackers. They are basically glorified paper towel tubes but they are plastic and last longer. They are also tuned to specific notes. So you can buy a whole octave if you want to. They are lots of fun to get some aggression out while creating music.


I also got these wooden spoons at the dollar store. Dave used...some kind of tool...to create slots in one of them so you can bang them or scrape them together to make a cool noise.


I bought this guitar at Radio Shack. What I like about it is that it has actual strings instead of just buttons like most play guitars. It's a good beginner without being frustrating or breakable. It even has a whammy bar. Oh, and Mateo calls it his "rock star".

I'm hoping that since both the kids are so responsive to music, we can use it to learn some academics, like abc's, rhyming words, and...the periodic table.


I also learned some great techniques for using music as therapy for kids who've been through trauma. Or teenagers you have trouble relating to. Here are a couple ideas that I loved (mostly for older kids):

* Having the child (or teenager) create their life through music by picking out special songs that fit their life stages

* Rewriting the lyrics to favorite songs to express how they feel (this works especially well for teens who like current pop music. It can be a way to communicate with a child who is too cool for their parents)

* Take the lyrics to favorite songs and leave parts blank for them to fill in themselves. And ask them questions about what the song lyrics mean to them


Does anyone else use music in a fun and creative way?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure the only way I learned my address was through the wee sing song. The one that goes "My name is sally smith and this is where i liiiiive. 1234 wee sing lane, any city, any place"

    There are also a lot of great songs to learn the names of the kids in the classroom, we sing them at my preschool.

    ReplyDelete