Sunday, July 4, 2010

Why I'll Never Go to a Mega-Premier Again

I thought it would be a brilliant idea to join the world of Twi-hards at the midnight premier of Eclipse with my best friend Devan, wearing our t-shirts and Team Edward bracelets.

Next time I think I have a brilliant idea that involves staying up till 3am with a bunch of teenage girls and their moms, someone please slap me. Why? I'll tell you.

I'm too old. I felt tired before we even got there. Seriously folks, 10:30 is pushing it for me. Half way through I had a headache. By the end my eyes couldn't focus. The only thing I remember from the movie was a lot of close-ups on Kristin Stewart's big teeth.

The parking lot was so packed on the way out that we sat in the car completely unable to even back out of the spot for 20 minutes. There was a curb with a strip of grass and a small tree directly in front of where we parked but on the other side of that was the main road. When we first noticed how far the parking lot back-up was, I suggested hopping the curb. It was pretty high and I thought we probably would have scraped something off the bottom of her car so I didn't think she'd actually do it. And she didn't. At first.

But it was 2:30 in the morning. Devan doesn't really do well when she's tired. She may have sort of...well...snapped.

I knew there was a change when she rolled down her window and started shouting at the young couple making out in the car next door, "excuse me!" When they rolled their window down she implored them to try jumping the curb first promising she would do it after them. When the guy, who couldn't have been more than 17 and most likely was not the owner of that car refused, she then asked if he would mind backing up a bit so she could do the jump.

I was a little worried at this point. It was a tight fit and a large curb. But she was desperate.

I have to give her credit, she revved the engine of that 6 cylinder oldsmobile alero and bumped up the curb, over the grass being careful to avoid the small tree, then down the other side. She scraped the bottom of the car but didn't lose any important parts and made it onto the main road skipping about 40 minutes of traffic. And we were home free.

That was probably the best part of the whole trip. I never in a million years thought Devan would do anything like that. Well, now I know not to underestimate anyone at three in the morning. That sort of sleep deprivation can make you desperate enough to pull a Dukes of Hazard move without a second thought.

Anyway, here are some pictures from my trip. It was an awesome and amazing time. I was able to kick back and relax for the first time in a long time.



Pedicures!


3 comments:

  1. Seeing all 3 of them in a row, I can't really even remember Eclipse. From what I do remember, I think it was the best of saga-- so far. I hear they're releasing Breaking Dawn in 2 parts, which I think will help them be able to incorporate all the details of the novel better.

    We had a great time, though. Yes, there were a lot of teenagers, but we didn't get stuck in traffic, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention the herding of the cattle when they allowed the last theater of people to enter their seats. I feel so bad for barking at the 12 year old girl to quit swishing her hair, but I am not sorry for snapping at the granny who wanted me to hurl myself into the crowd in front of me so she could get to whatever opening hole she thought she saw in order to get to Edward sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, I am glad you posted so I never make the same mistake. Although the pedicures sounded great. Maybe I'll just do that part.

    ReplyDelete